Thursday 20 August 2009

Its raining, it's pouring......

........and my children are sulking. Cabin fever abounds.

Rich woke at 5.45am this morning and decided to very quietly get on with things. The quiet, however, didn't quite happen, as he tripped on a cat on the landing and hit the deck with a crash, thus rousing every sleeping soul in the place. Ho Hum. Some of us managed to get some more sleep after breakfast though.......
I haven't actually acheived much yet today......been out to feed and chat to my chickens, also soggy and fed up, bless them. They don't like the wet. Done the breakfast dishes, put some bread dough on to rise and carried on with some more knitted geese. They are becoming increasingly frustrating as I haven't yet managed to finish one that's quite right. Can't work out what I'm doing wrong.....maybe this one will be better.
What does the rest of the day bring? I don't know really. Got to put some bread and a fruit cake in the oven, pop out and cut some more sweet peas to keep them in flower, and finish a doll thats been sitting around hair and faceless for over a week. Children are lounging, cat-like, in a variety of slightly abstract locations and all are reading. From subtle peering at their books, Iris has 'The Subtle Knife', Joe is in the middle of 'The Haunting of Azailabel Cray', Bobby has an usborne 'How Castles Were Built' and Jaya is grinning her way through the pictures in 'Hairy McClary and Zachary Quack' - also one of my favourites! They'll be busy for hours if they've got books, so I may, just may, be able to get on.
Rich is out in the workshop making some candlesticks ready for the christmas (am I allowed to say that word yet?!) craft markets. They're formed out out of one long, thin piece of metal, snaking into spiral shapes around a taper candle. His drawings are gorgeous, and I'm yet to see the finshed objects, but I know they'll be beautiful.
Anyway, had best get on now. Dough will have risen so I'd best heat the oven and then maybe find time for a cup of tea!

1 comment:

Gina said...

A rainy grey day here too, lots of reading and inddor skateboarding (the latest charity shop find) going on here. I've made root veg soup and about to bake a fruit cake too :0

Gina xxx